Wednesday, November 23, 2016

A List of Things I Have Done in the Past Two Weeks

Called my dad at 2 in the morning and sobbed as if someone had died

Took Nyquil and slept for 12 hours

Hardly ate for several days then ate a weird amount of Indian food and got violently ill

Verbally apologized to my liver

Ordered a half pound bag of dried lavender from Amazon Prime Now 1 hour delivery as if I was having some sort of Relaxation Emergency

Received a call from the Amazon Prime Now delivery driver that had just left my house asking me if I was ok.

Looked at strangers in the grocery store and thought "Did you do this? You fucking did this didn't you?"

Flipped all of the People magazines in the checkout line so that I didn't have to look at Trump's smug face

Responded to a hateful, sexist insult from a former close, long-time friend with the emotional equivalent of an eyeroll. (You're going to have to try harder these days, dude)

Had the disturbing revelation that someone I've invited into my home is an avid supporter of the "Alt-Right" and posts on the internet about how the decline in the white birth rate is "so sad".

Seriously considered the possibility that I'm in a coma and this is all a solipsistic nightmare of my own creation

Had a panic attack

Learned that my response to a panic attack these days is to immediately do 50 bodyweight squats

Looked backed on November 8th me, excited and cocky in my blazer and thought "Oooh you sweet summer child"

Unsuccessfully tried to comfort my dear friends in the minority and LGBTQ communities

Had a civil online conversation with a Trump voter in an attempt to break out of my echo chamber

Did tequila shots and had a 2 person Beyonce dance party in my living room with Brandi. (I'm still me.)

Vacillated between thinking, as a woman and feminist, my grief and anger is completely justified and feeling guilty, as a white middle class person for taking this shit so hard.

Had a serious gut check about my relative privilege and vowed to be a more vocal ally

Got on the phone and called my representatives

Held my girlfriends closer than ever

Set up monthly donations to the ACLU and the Southern Poverty Law Center and increased my monthly donation to Planned Parenthood.

Vowed to never, fucking NEVER, stop fighting.

No comments:

Post a Comment